Monday, July 22, 2019

Welding & ASL - What could these two fields have in common?

Hello Folks,

I just had a chat with my learning partner, Spenser, through Video Relay Service - I’m Deaf and he’s hearing and doesn’t sign.   This is for the PIDP3210 Foundations of Adult Education course we’re both doing.  We discussed trends we see in our fields.  Interestingly enough there is an increasing technological learning component in both of our fields.

I told him about how ASL classes are now being offered online and how I wanted to do the eLearning certification to be able to be an online ASL teacher in addition to in-person teaching.    I explained how an online course has videos for students to learn ASL, how they would submit video assignments, and have skype appointments with the instructor and fellow classmates for conversation practice and assessment.

I was surprised when he told me  that welding training now also has an online component to replace the lectures and textbooks.  There’s a welding simulator in the works.  Eventually with technological advancements, welders could do their learning on their own and do the in-person component for assessments.

It’s a new world we live in!  Adrian

No comments: