Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Toddler Twins signing ASL!

In Fall of 1980, Roger and I were 1 1/2 year old. We were in Montreal with Dad and he took us to visit Grandpa's workplace at CBC Studio. In the studio, we could see ourselves on the TV besides the videocamera. We could see what you see in the videoclip and we are signing about what we see.

Observe how we already have right-hand dominance in our ASL signing and how the dexis handshape (pointing finger) can express so much information.

On the blackboard, Dad successfully used ASL to start teaching us English.

Also, see how I use my face expression to reflect what Roger's emotion is.

Thanks Dad for getting us into the Deaf & ASL community at a such early age! _\,,/

ASL ROCKS!



P.S I will be creating and posting subtitled and commentary versions of this videoclip in the near future.

P.S.S View the ASL comments at DeafVideo.TV http://www.deafvideo.tv/video/watch/24266/

12 comments:

Deb Ann and Hannah said...

You both are sooo cutieee and adorable!

You're lucky to have such a great Dad who supports in ASL.

ptljly7 said...

This is from KS. We think your twin boys are so cute to remind me when our son was 8 months old to learn sign language to communicate with us that we were thrilled about it and proud of him.
Thanks
ptljly7

Anonymous said...

Loved watching this Adrian! You were both given such a great start. Look where you are now. Wow!

Anonymous said...

Both of you were so cute. It is amazing for me to see both of you as child. I agreed with Deb Ann that you are lucky to have a wonderful dad who supports ASL.

Deaf Cinema said...

wow awesome video as it show so much re: ur cognitive processing also

why is roger crying?

thanks for posting this

big gem re: value of ASL 0-4

Karen Putz said...

You guys were so cute in that video. I found this via your stepmom. :)

isabella said...

Wicked CUTE! you guys made me smile!

David said...

Thats awesome!

You both have great parents who accept you as their own children and provide you what you both need most.

You are very lucky to have them!

Great

Deafchip

KyDeafie said...

Aww. I adore this video! So cute! Yeah, very lucky that your Dad using ASL. Beautiful!

TeacherNorm said...

What a great video to have! I STILL think your dad was amazing to recognize right away how much you both needed ASL and connections to Deaf Community.

LaRonda said...

Rogerrrrr!!! He crying!!1 Poor baby. *squeezing and loving you up!*

Hi Adrian. What a sweet, sweet video of you both as kids! I laughed. I cried. I swelled with affection for you both and your da'. Sweet, Sweet sharing.

My heart is full.

I miss you guys! Come back!

~ LaRonda
www.earofmyheart.com

Anonymous said...

Beautiful children, more beautiful commentary on human spirit. You're blessed to have such a wonderful family! I learned of this video via your stepmother.